Freshly Stitched

Last of the summer makes
Cotton embroidered Laurel top

Blog / 28 August 2015

This past month seems to have just completely disappeared before my eyes. After a trip up to Scotland to visit my family at the beginning of the month, I felt like I spent a good few weeks catching up and before I knew it, it was almost September!!

My list of things I wanted to sew for ‘summer’ started to feel a bit like…….. it might not be the best use of time!

I had planned a Tilly and the Buttons Arielle Skirt in this gorgeous Cotton Linen Blue Fleck Chambray, but it just seems a bit to light and bright now and I don’t think I’ll get that much use out of it in the near future!

One make that I definitely wasn’t ready to sacrifice was an embroidered cotton top I’ve been dreaming about for ages. I totally love embroidered cotton and although I would never wear a completely plain white top, there is something about the white embroidered fabric that I LOVE!

I use the top (version 4) from the Colette Laurel pattern. It’s a pull over your head style so no zips to worry about. (It's the same pattern we use in the Setting in Sleeves Workshop!)

I choose this White Open Embroidered Cotton and a plain White Cotton Lawn for the underlining.

I cut the bodice out of the embroidered cotton and the plain white cotton lawn and then for the sleeves I just did the embroidered fabric so that it would be see-through.

The fabric is quite an open design, which means it can move and stretch around a lot. To help keep it under control I cut it out on a single layer and used a rotary cutter and self-healing mat to make things as accurate as possible. I also wanted the design to be running horizontally so I cut the bodice sections out with the centre front and back fold at 90 degrees to the selvedge (instead of parallel to the selvedge).

Once the pieces were cut out I hand tacked the main bodice to the cotton lawn around the outer edges and around the darts to hold the layers together while I constructed the top.

It meant when I sewed the darts I was going though both layers of fabric at the same time.

I finished the neckline off with bias binding and folded it to the inside so it was like a facing. Instead of top stitching it down like I normally would I hand stitched it so that there wasn’t a line of stitching visible.

At the sleeve hems I used the same bias binding but left it exposed (as the fabric is so open anyway) and hand stitched it too.

I was so pleased with the final finish. The shaping at the back waist is really flattering and means it is not too baggy – which can sometimes happen when it’s a garment with no zip or other fastening.

If you fancy squeezing out a final really summery make I’ve now added the rest of out embroidered cottons to the Sale Section where you can save 10% on them! Yay!

PS. Our sale is coming to an end next week when all the new fabric arrives so grab a bargain while you can!

Tags

Comments